Thursday, October 11, 2007

True Sorcery, Ironcarnum-style: Part 1

Ironcarnum is the magic system that I created for Iron Heroes. I was dissatisfied with all the current magic systems floating around, so I made a fairly radically new one based around feats. You can find it over in the links on the right, and I'll give it a better explanation some day.

Now, a 'failing' of Ironcarnum is that it's rather idiosyncratic. I have fairly particular views on what is appropriate for it, and so there's a goodly bit of classical magic that isn't covered. On the other hand, True Sorcery, the most popular commercially produced magic system for Iron Heroes, *does* cover pretty much everything. That's what it was designed to do.

Here's where it gets interesting. Ivan Blascoe, known as Dalfen in various places, approaches me with an offer. He really likes the Ironcarnum approach, but likes the breadth of power in TS. He asked if I would be interested in a joint project combining the two, where the powers of TS are translated into an Ironcarnum structure. I was intrigued by the idea, and gave him the green light. I didn't really expect too much out of it, but a few days later he sent me an email with a third of all the TS powers already done, and the rest followed soon after.

This stuff was good. I mean, really good. His translations were faithful, the power levels were accurate, and it was just plain *interesting* to see. However, he used some of the Ironcarnum mechanics in a not-quite-kosher way (or at least in a way that could be done more effectively), so I needed to give them an editorial look-over before I signed off on them.

Now, that was way the hell back in April, making my editorial pass about 6 months late. But it's being done! Live, and in front of millions!

No comments: